What could be sweeter than a hand-made heart? This garland of hearts by Los Angeles-based dosa will add sparkle to a window and scatter bits of color from the beads between the hearts across a room.
These were inspired by milagros (miracles) found at the Basilica de la Soledad in Oaxaca, Mexico. The milagro project began as a means of providing employment for local women in Yjutlan, near Oaxaca who hand-stitch and bead them. Fabric remnants are recycled from other work to create these small wonders.
LACMA's collections include almost 90 examples of Spanish Colonial art. Milagros, "miracles," are religious folk charms that can be offered to a saint when a miracle is needed, or in thanks for one that has happened.
- Each garland contains 24 hand-made hearts, each heart is unique
- Overall garland length approximately 63 inches
- Hearts range from approximately 1 inches long to 1-3/4 inches in length
- Comes on a thin cord with beads suitable for hanging
- Not suitable for children under 5 years of age